Wednesday, 13 November 2013

In the Life - my dad

I feel like I have been missing for quite a while now, although it's not long ago since I last posted -or is it? Anyway, my cousin finally found a place to stay so she's out of here (but within 5 minute walking distance) and then my parents came to visit so this is really the first time I am alone in my house for a long long time!

During my parents visit we travelled around the island and had a lot of fun. I was quite worried to be honest, because we are experiencing some problems this year. Excuse me for being a little to personal but I am so happy we had a nice time despite the situation.
Well, last year my dad's business closed for good. It was one of the most successful companies nation-wise and my father and his partner had made it from scratch. Lots of work and lots of effort made it the best company in its category in the 90s. Anyway, for security reasons I'm not going to say anymore, but all in all, the crisis affected it so much that sadly, it closed. My father got very sad at the point of depression firstly because his whole working life was shattered but also because he thought that he couldn't provide his family the life we used to have. But that doesn't really mattered to us, seeing him this unhappy was the only thing that mattered. So my mom took him to a therapist where he could talk it all out, and was given a sleeping pill just because all these thoughts inside his head were keeping him up at nights.

I get so worried when he's not okay. He is rather old- 67 years old, although he never really showed his age. Not until last year. I realised what sadness can do to you, your attitude, your face, even your posture and promised myself I will never let him see me sad (you know I get unhappy from time to time). So he came to visit me last week for the first time ever (he couldn't get out of work before) and us three had a really nice time. We went on road trips, ate nicely cooked meals, met with my friends' parents and more. I could tell he got tired easily but I am happy he did the effort and we all had nice things to remember.

Before I get emotional, I probably should end this post. It's not what I originally intended to write about, but I'm going with it.

Because I always say that I can't feel love or that I am being loved, and that I probably got this from my dad. But I feel like between me and my father it seems to be this connection that people call love.

I love you, dad.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. This is how my mother and I are. I know how tough it can be to see them depressed. It's like you want to take away the pain. I'm glad he is getting the help that he needs. Sending love.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this personal story. I think you are entering into a friendship with your father. It's so good to know that he is getting help. Xoxo thoughts and love!

    ReplyDelete